Saturday, June 6, 2009

Good Sign or Bad Sign: Transit Edition

Qatar Airways, which ambitiously bills itself as "the World's Five Star Airline", has an interesting flight path from Doha, Qatar to Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania.

Our captain announced the flight path over the PA. North from Doha to Bahrain, then turning west to fly over Riyahd and Sanaa then south over Addis and Mombassa to Dar. Not the most direct path through the air. I am no expert in aviation routes,but it seems like the planners are expending considerable effort to avoid Yemeni and Somali airspace.

I would guess that our geographic meander adds about 20% to the flying time. Not the biggest hardship fo me since I managed to snag an exit row with empty adjacent seats. Since I have no status with Qatar Airways and do not look like a typical Qatari frequent flyer, I wonder if it is just the luck of the seat lottery or my reservation somehow got flagged since QA's corporate twitter account is following my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment